The battle is on between Tadalafil vs Sildenafil, two of the most effective impotence treatments in males. Tadalafil is more popularly known as its trade name Cialis, from Eli Lilly, while Sildenafil Citrate, on the other hand, is recognized its popular brand-name treatment for erectile dysfunction, Viagra from Pfizer.
Sildenafil Citrate Tablets
Both medicines are indispensable when it comes to treating erectile dysfunction in males and are widely sold online and at local pharmacies. Consumers often ask the differences and the similarities between these two drugs, so we’d like to help you find out the answer today in our brief discussion.
How are Tadalafil and Sildenafil different from one another?
Tadalafil and Sildenafil Citrate are actually the names of the active pharmaceutical ingredients found in the two of the most popular types of erectile dysfunction drugs. Tadalafil is the main component of Cialis, while Sildenafil Citrate is the main ingredient of the iconic Viagra product. Tadalafil and Sildenafil are also the components of various generic impotence medicines available in the market today, which means that the terms are somewhat inclusive of both the brand and generic trade names available in the market.
So, how is Tadalafil and Sildenafil Citrate similar? We’ve identified several points for you to consider:
- Both Tadalafil and Sildenafil are from the same drug family, the PDE5 (phosphodiesterase type 5) inhibitor drugs
- Tadalafil and Sildenafil have the same action—they encourage vasodilation and smooth muscle relaxation in the penis walls (for erectile dysfunction)
- Tadalafil and Sildenafil may also be used in premature ejaculation and in pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH)
- Both drugs bypass all physiological, psychological, and other causes of erectile dysfunction
- Both drugs are available as “Rx only” medications
- Tadalafil and Sildenafil are usually administered by mouth, though tablets, jellies, capsules, and other dose forms
- Both medications have similar side effects (see next sections)
Despite the similarities, though, there are overt differences between these two drugs. Here are some of the differences identified between Tadalafil and Sildenafil:
- The drug Tadalafil is developed to last longer than Sildenafil. Tadalafil has a biological half-life (time it takes for the drug to lose half of its pharmacologic effect) of 17.5 hours, while Sildenafil has a biological half-life of 3-4 hours. Patients report that Tadalafil lasts for up to 36 hours, while Sildenafil lasts for about 4 hours.
- Although Tadalafil and Sildenafil have single dose products, Tadalafil also has a “daily” version which patients can take as a “maintenance” product to help them have a “normal” erectile function.
- Tadalafil’s available doses: 2.5 mg, 5 mg, 10 mg, and 20 mg (generic products have up to 80 mg)
- Sildenafil’s available doses: 25 mg, 50 mg, and 100 mg (generic products have up to 200 mg)
Tadalafil vs Sildenafil Intake Instructions
Although Tadalafil and Sildenafil differ in how long they last in the body, both medications have the same intake instructions and special considerations.
How should you take Tadalafil and Sildenafil?
- Take Tadalafil or Sildenafil at least an hour prior to the intended sexual activity. Make sure to take Sildenafil drugs up to 4 hours before, though.
- You can take Tadalafil or Sildenafil with or without food
- Drink lots of water with Tadalafil or Sildenafil tablets
Products which you should not take with Tadalafil or Sildenafil:
Make sure you steer clear of the following products when taking Tadalafil or Sildenafil drugs because they can cause hazardous or detrimental symptoms:
- Grapefruit juice
- Alcoholic drinks
- Nitrate medications
- Blood pressure lowering medications
- Protease inhibitors
Do Tadalafil and Sildenafil have side effects?
Yes, like most drugs, both Tadalafil and Sildenafil also have side effects. These drugs’ side effects are also notably similar too. Here are some of the major and minor side effects determined for the use of both drugs for impotence:
Major Side Effects
- Vision changes
- Hearing loss
- Chest pain
- Difficulty breathing
- Priapism (prolonged and painful erections)
- Vision loss
- Muscular pain
- Eye bleeding
- Light sensitivity
Minor Side Effects
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Back pain
- Facial flushing
- Skin warmth
- Bloody nose
Minor side effects of both Tadalafil and Sildenafil usually fade away in up to 48 hours. These side effects do not occur all at once and do not affect all patients taking both Tadalafil and Sildenafil drugs.
The major side effects are only rare, although when they appear, make sure you contact your health care provider immediately.
Tadalafil and Sildenafil Online
Although Tadalafil and Sildenafil Citrate products are available at local pharmacies in the form of Cialis and Viagra, these Tadalafil and Sildenafil drugs are even more accessible online. Various online drug stores provide wide selections of generic brands for impotence treatment, so consumers are able to take their pick depending on their preferred manufacturers and brands for Tadalafil and Sildenafil.
Concerning the prices, we’ve selected some price outlines for both Tadalafil and Sildenafil and in one famed website for drug information to give you an idea how much these drugs cost:
Sildenafil Citrate Prices
The image above illustrates Sildenafil Citrate (generic) prices. According to the information, Sildenafil tablets from Alkem Laboratories cost $1.47 for 4 pills of the 50 mg product. There is still a long list of Sildenafil Citrate prices on the web, but generally, Sildenafil Citrate products are really this cheap.
We’ve also looked into the prices of Tadalafil on the same website and according to the data, “Generic Tadalafil” 20 mg tablets cost at least $34.95 for 10 pieces, or $3.49 each. As you can see, Sildenafil Citrate usually costs lower than Tadalafil, and possibly because it is longer acting than Sildenafil.
Both Tadalafil and Sildenafil are great choices for impotence treatments. These drugs are indispensable when it comes to restoring erectile function, and any of them will prove helpful in the management of erectile dysfunction in patients. If you want a cheaper option, choose Sildenafil, but if you want a faster-acting drug for a meager price as well, choose Tadalafil.